Monday, September 10, 2012

Welcome 2012-2013 School Year!

Wow!! What a first week of school!
I hope you all received the Buzzzzzz from last week and it helped you get an idea of what we did last week.
A couple things we are working on in class this week are:

Student Created Book
On the _______ day of first grade my students gave to me _________  _________________.  This is a sentence frame we are using to write our first class book. It's based on the book On the First Day of Grade School by Emily Brenner. It follow the structure of On the First Day of Christmas but is centered around a teacher, her students, and various animals. Be sure to ask your student about this project.

Reading Assessment
I am working on assess all students in the next couple weeks. I usually get 2 to 3 kids reading to me and sometimes it can take a couple days to get a correct level on a student. I want the students to trust me and feel comfortable using what they know. This can take more than one sessions. I will be sending home levels in RAH folders.

Math
This week I am taking a look at a few math skills like skip counting, coin identification, and seeing what addition and subtractions skills are in place.


Nervous about Work
It is common for kids to be really nervous about their work and reluctant to show what they know. It is my goal for students to know they should do the best they can and that mistakes help Mrs. White. We have been talking today about these two ideas often. If you student feels nervous about work in class, talk with them about doing the best they can and how Mrs. White uses mistakes to help her see what to teach.

Have a wonderful week!